Jumptown Swing have been running swing dance classes in Canberra for over twelve years. Our experienced and passionate teaching team love what they do and will have you up and dancing in no time, or reaching new heights if you are already doing swing.
Swing dancing is a great way to keep fit, socialise or get ready for a wedding. We have beginner classes on the North and South side of Canberra. You can join in the fun, and meet new people while learning Lindy Hop, the original partner dance from the 1920s, 30s and 40s. Classes run on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
In addition, Jumptown is proud to present JitterBlast Fitness, a new fitness program that provides an intense total-body dance workout.
Jumptown Swing has an experienced performance troupe, the Jumptown Jammers who can perform a range of Lindy Hop, Charleston and Swing-era routines for charity events, corporate functions and events, birthdays, dinners, balls and weddings.
Swing Dancing Beginner Classes
2016 Beginner Lindy Hop/Swing Dance classes start
- Monday 1st, Tuesday 2nd, or Wednesday 3rd of February 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 14th, Tuesday 15th, or Wednesday 16th of March 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 25th, Tuesday 26th, or Wednesday 27th of April 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 6th, Tuesday 7th, or Wednesday 8th of June 2016 (6-Week Courses)
- Monday 18th, Tuesday 19th, or Wednesday 20th of July 2016 (6-Week Courses)
What you need to know
- There is no need to register, just come along.
- You can join in at weeks two or three if you can’t make week one.
- You can do one of the three 6 week courses starting in a particular month.
- You don’t have to stick with this night, you can go to another night that week if you miss a class to catch up.
- We recommend you wear flat comfortable shoes.
- There is no need to bring a partner. Partners are rotated during the class.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Beginner class are $15 each, or you can purchase a 6 week Jump Start pass for $75. That’s 6 classes for the price of 5.
When you graduate to our Essentials (Level 2) class you can still do beginners and get two classes for the price of one. When you graduate to our Evolve (Level 3) class you can do as many classes as you like all night and still pay for one class.
See Lindy Beginners for the full years beginner course dates and more information.
Griffith Hall Maintenance & Venue Movements
- We have some exciting news, Balboa is moving to Griffith in order to bring our regular Lindy Hop classes and Bal closer together on Monday nights. Having four classes running in two rooms on a Monday night at the one venue means more options, see below for details.
- Scheduled Maintenance of the Griffith Neighbourhood Hall in April, see below for the impacted dates and venue changes.
Please note that as of the 14th of March 2016 Balboa will be moving to the Griffith Neighbourhood Hall. However due to maintenance at the Griffith Hall the 18th and 25th of April classes will be back at the Kingston Venue for these two weeks and then back at Griffith from then on.
Griffith Neighbourhood Hall
Griffith Shops, Stuart St Griffith
(behind Aubergine Restaurant)
Thursday Night Hop
Please note that the Thursday Night Hop social on the 21.4.16 will be relocated to the White Eagle Polish Club 38 David St Turner due to scheduled maintenance at the Griffith Neighbourhood Hall. All other socials in April will be at Griffith as normal as the maintenance only impacts one social in April.
Please note that Monday night classes on the 18.4.16 and 25.4.16 will be relocated to 63 Boolimba Cres, Narrabundah (the old primary school) due to scheduled maintenance at the Griffith Neighbourhood Hall. Keep an eye out here and on Facebook for announcements.
Please note that Troupe Rehearsals on the 14.4.16, 21.4.16 will be relocated to 63 Boolimba Cres, Narrabundah (the old primary school) due to scheduled maintenance at the Griffith Neighbourhood Hall. Keep an eye out here and on Facebook for the one-off new venue TBC for these three nights only.
Lindy Hopper’s Etiquette
Everything you needed to know about the etiquette of dancing in one easy infographic.
Reproduced with permission from Holy Lindy Land. Infographic designed by Ron Dobrovinsky. Produced by Ron Dobrovinsky, Ilya Grigoriev, Maya Shapira and the Holy Lindy Land team.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
At Jumptown Swing we’re connected to the the Swing dancing community across the world. We’ve got all the latest information on swing dance related events including Lindy exchanges, classes, workshops, socials, live music, across local and international events. To stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter. You can also get up to date information on our two major events Jumptown Jam and Canberräng. So get connected and we’ll make sure to keep you up to date!