Jumptown Swing Canberra have been running swing dance classes in Canberra for over twelve years. Our experienced and passionate teaching team love what they do and will have you up and dancing in no time, or reaching new heights if you are already doing swing.
Swing dancing is a great way to keep fit, socialise or get ready for a wedding. We have beginner classes on the North and South side of Canberra. You can join in the fun, and meet new people while learning Lindy Hop, the original partner dance from the 1920s, 30s and 40s. Classes run on Monday and Wednesday nights. Our beginner classes are on Monday’s inner South and Wednesday’s in the City.
In addition, Jumptown is proud to present JitterBlast Fitness, a new fitness program that provides an intense total-body dance workout.
Jumptown Swing has an experienced performance troupe, the Jumptown Jammers who can perform a range of Lindy Hop, Charleston and Swing-era routines for charity events, corporate functions and events, birthdays, dinners, balls and weddings.
Swing Dancing Beginner Classes
2017 Beginner Lindy Hop/Swing Dance classes start dates
- Wednesday – 12 of April (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 24 April (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Wednesday – 10 May (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 22 May (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Wednesday – 7 June (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 19 June (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Wednesday – 5 July (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 17 July (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Wednesday – 2 August (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 14 August (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Wednesday – 30 August (4-Week Beginner Block)
- Monday – 11 September (4-Week Beginner Block)
What you need to know
- Pick one of the above course start dates North (Wednesday) and Southside (Monday).
- There is no need to register, just come along on the night!
- The 4-week Beginner Block start dates above are staggered between our two nights so you can start our beginners course straight away.
- You just join in at week one (the start date) or week two of a 4-Week Beginner Block.
- You don’t have to stick with this night either, feel free to mix it up depending on your timetable and when you want to start.
- We recommend you wear flat comfortable shoes.
- There is no need to bring a partner. Partners are rotated during the class.
- Email email@example.com or call 0412127168 for more information.
Beginner class are $15 each per class, or you can purchase a 4 week (4 classes) Multi-class pass for $50 (gives you a $10 discount). Or purchase a 10 week (10 classes) Multi-class pass for $120 (gives you a $30 discount).
When you graduate to our Essentials (Level 2) class you can still do beginners and get two classes for the price of one. When you graduate to our Evolve (Level 3) class you can do as many classes as you like all night and still pay for one class.
See Lindy Beginners for the full years beginner course dates and more information.
Monday Night Balboa at Griffith
2017 Balboa Beginner & Intermediate classes start dates
- Monday 27th February (NEW Beginner Block)
- Monday 27th March (NEW Beginner Block)
- Monday 24th April (NEW Beginner Block)
- Monday 22nd May (NEW Beginner Block)
- Balboa is conveniently located at Griffith Neighbourhood Hall, which brings our regular Lindy Hop classes and Bal closer together on Monday nights.
- Having four classes running in two rooms on a Monday night at the one venue means more options and ease of changing between classes!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Griffith Neighbourhood Hall
Griffith Shops, 55 Stuart St Griffith ACT
(behind Aubergine Restaurant)
The Jumptown Jam and Canberräng 2017
Jumptown Jam 2017: 18th – 20th of May
Canberräng 2017: 3rd to 6th August
Canberra’s Festival of Swing is proudly presented by Jumptown Swing and this year we have an around the world adventure in store for dancers from near and far. We look forward to sharing the pleasure of your company as we revisit the heyday of the Orient Express and we dance our way around the globe at this hugely popular four day lindy exchange!
Lindy Hopper’s Etiquette
Everything you needed to know about the etiquette of dancing in one easy infographic.
Reproduced with permission from Holy Lindy Land. Infographic designed by Ron Dobrovinsky. Produced by Ron Dobrovinsky, Ilya Grigoriev, Maya Shapira and the Holy Lindy Land team.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
At Jumptown Swing we’re connected to the the Swing dancing community across the world. We’ve got all the latest information on swing dance related events including Lindy exchanges, classes, workshops, socials, live music, across local and international events. To stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter. You can also get up to date information on our two major events Jumptown Jam and Canberräng. So get connected and we’ll make sure to keep you up to date!