Jumptown Swing is dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone. All students, teachers, volunteers, musicians, and other staff are required to comply with our the Jumptown Swing Code of Conduct.
Jumptown Swing organisers reserve the right to take any action deemed necessary to ensure the Code of Conduct is followed. This may include asking you to not attend our events. By attending a Jumptown Swing event in any capacity you are agreeing to uphold the Code of Conduct.
The code of conduct is further broken down into 7 key principles.
1. Be respectful. We ask you be inclusive of individuals of different ages, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, faiths and abilities.
2. Do not harass anyone. Jumptown Swing has a zero tolerance to physical, sexual, verbal or emotional harassment. This type of behaviour will not be accepted.
3. Be okay with no. It’s okay to say no when someone asks you to dance; and it’s equally okay if someone doesn’t feel like dancing with you. Respect the decisions of others.
4. Ask to dance verbally. Asking someone to dance is simply that – asking for a dance. No more and no less.
5. Yes doesn’t mean always. Although some people may want to dance more than one song, this is not a requirement. See points 3 and 4.
6. Be aware of your connection with your partner, being mindful of their verbal and non-verbal cues. If a connection or touch makes you uncomfortable, alert your partner and ask them to change. If you are asked to change your connection, do so.
7. Be a good attendee. This includes refraining from giving unsolicited advice in class or on the social floor, saying ‘excuse me’ if you bump into someone while dancing, and no inappropriate behaviour or language. People are here to dance, enjoy great music and have fun – be a part of that!